If you are covered under Medicare, you will be receiving a new Medicare card in the mail soon. In order to prevent fraud and identity theft, Medicare will be removing Social Security Numbers from Medicare cards. In place of your Social Security Number, your new card will have a unique Medicare Number on it.
When Will I Get My New Card?
Your new red, white, and blue Medicare card should be mailed to you between April 2018 and April 2019. Florida residents will begin receiving their Medicare cards after June 2018. You can also check on the mailing status in your area at medicare.gov/newcard.
Tips for Using Your New Medicare Card
- Your card will be sent to you automatically. If you need to update your address, visit ssa.gov/myaccount.
- Properly destroy your old Medicare card once you receive your new card.
- The new Medicare card can be used immediately upon receipt.
- Carry your card at all times. You will need it for visits with your Doctor and other health-care providers.
- If you are in a Medicare Advantage Plan, make sure to keep your Medicare Advantage Plan ID card. You will still need your Medicare Advantage Plan ID to receive care.
- Be aware that scammers might try to obtain your personal information by contacting you about your new card. Know that Medicare will never contact you uninvited to inquire about your personal information.
Do you have more questions about Medicare? Contact our St. Petersburg elder law attorney get help today.